Tuesday, February 19, 2013

The One About Expectations


Is it just me, or does everyone have extremely high expectations for everything, only to be let down time after time? Not only for themselves, but for everyone else too. What we should do, who we should be, how to perform.

Part of this is because of our culture, the beliefs and values surrounding us, and the norms, or expectations and rules of behavior.

Our "ideal" view of how everything should be is nearly always different than the way things are, and not a good different.

As a college student in America, I'm hit constantly with expectations. I need to get the best grades, have a good major that will bring a successful career, and basically succeed in every possible way.

But what if I don't want to do those things? I have other goals in life, such as traveling the world, possibly owning my own small business, have a husband and family, and ultimately do what God calls me to.

I feel like the expectations of our society say those things are wrong and I should do what's expected of me, nothing different. Not that those are bad things to do, but I don't feel that's where I'm called to be or what I'm meant to do.

Lately I've been struggling with what exactly I am meant to do, but the truth is that I don't know. I am pretty much clueless as to what I should do next, but I do know what I shouldn't do. And right now, that is most likely college.


I'm a sophomore at a community college and will graduate with my Associates degree this May. Everyone keeps asking "Where are you going next?" or "What do you plan on doing now? (hint, what's your major and what college will you go to?)"

I know that I won't have a top career in a medical profession, or something other huge like that. But I don't care about those jobs. I want to make things handmade, be unique, and make people happy by what I love. People will say this is the wrong move in not wanting to continue with my collegiate career, and although I see where they're coming from, I've never wanted to do that and don't see anything but settling if I continue.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

So what do you think? Am I ruining everything by making this decision, or doing the right thing?






All pictures can be found on my Pinterest


No comments:

Post a Comment